Monday, October 3, 2011

Pumpkin Spice Bars

This recipe and I go way back.  It comes from my elementary school cafeteria!  I liked these so much in kindergarten that my mom asked for the recipe so that she could make them at home.  I bet that none of you liked the school cafeteria food that much!

These are very easy to make, and yield a tender, cakey bar.  You can add raisins or walnuts to them, but I like them plain and simple.  A confectioner's sugar glaze or a streusel topping might also be a good addition.  As for me, I am desperate to add in a few chocolate chips.  Everything is better with chocolate, right?
Pumpkin Spice Bars
makes one 9x13 pan, yields 12-16 large bars

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 cup canned pumpkin or mashed sweet potato
2 eggs, well beaten
1/3 cup water
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp cloves
cooking spray

Optional:
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped nuts

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.  Prepare a 9x13 pan with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, mix sugar, oil, and pumpkin well.  Add in the beaten eggs, water, and vanilla.  Stir well.
3. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ones in the large bowl.  Mix until blended.
5. If using add-ins (such as raisins or nuts), fold in, but do not over mix.
6. Pour into the prepared pan.
7. Bake for 30 minutes.  Cool, and slice into bars.  Ice if desired.

9 comments:

  1. I am a total pumpkin freak! I know I'd love these. And yes, pumpkin is always better with chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or a little cream cheese frosting on top. They looks so moist!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so enjoy all the pumpkin recipes and yours are not exception - adding some nuts is a great idea. Which one would you recommend?

    ReplyDelete
  4. How sweet that your mom got you this recipe. This is a great snack for the kids during the week and would pack really well into their lunches. My school actually had really yummy chocolate chip cookies and apple crisp day was always a big event...oh, and tater tots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep. I'll be making these soon. I just can't get enough of pumpkin cake and bars. It's such a wonderful flavor! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I would have liked cafeteria food if it had been this delicious! Those look like they have the perfect amount of autumn spirit and spice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so happy about the seasonal pumpkin recipes that are appearing now! It's just not something you see in British recipes very much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm impressed that your cafeteria actually served something made from scratch! Your mom is awesome for tracking down the recipe too. These look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No oil is listed in the ingredients!

    ReplyDelete